This September 2022, the UP Diliman Office for Initiatives in Culture and the Arts (UPD-OICA) commemorates the 50th anniversary of the Martial Law imposition in 1972 through the project ML@50: Tugon at Tindig ng Sining.
Revisiting this dark chapter of Philippine history is not only important but necessary given the rising threat of historical revisionism and misinformation.
Because of this, the University of the Philippines Diliman will hold various activities such as film series, webinars, exhibitions, and publications, among others, that commemorate this grim period and the fierce response of the Iskolar-Artista ng Bayan to the curtailment of freedom, especially academic freedom, during that time.
The project also pays tribute to the sacrifices of those who tried and succeeded to free our country from the repressive Marcos dictatorship. Ultimately, the project aims to convey to a broader audience the importance of critical thinking and fact-checking, not only during this period of our history but also in the present and the future.
The following are the different components of the project:
- Kamao ang Hugis ng Puso: Neil Doloricon Retrospective
15-30 September 2022 | Gallery One, UP Fine Arts Gallery (Exhibit) |
Atrium or Front Lawn (Program)
- The Marcos Regime Research: In Print and Online
23 September 2022, 4:00 PM | Book and Website Launch
- Kwentong Mulat – ML@50
30 September 2022, 10:00AM-12:00NN (Launch of the virtual tour website),
3:00PM-5:00PM (Onsite walking tour) | Hybrid Tour (Onsite and Online)
- “A Name by Candlelight”: Subversive Lives Then and Now
24 September 22, 6:00PM | Virtual or Hybrid Stage Reading
- Tugon at Tindig: Martial Law Memorial Tiktok Challenge
14 September 2022, 2:00PM (Launch) |
17 October 2022, 2:00PM (Announcement of Winners and Awarding)
- Martial Law Film Series (Pilot): Lino Brocka’s Manila in the Claws of Light
20 September 2022, 2:00PM-5:00PM (Film Screening) |
Cine Adarna and streamed on UPFI’s Vimeo and Facebook account
- Sining Protesta: Image at Tema, Anyo at Pagkilos
21 September – 9 October 2022 (Outdoor Exhibition) | UPD Academic Oval
- Pagtindig: Mga Tala sa Papel ng Akademikong Larang ng Malikhaing Pagsulat, Panitikan at Wika Kontra Batas Militar Hanggang Kasalukuyan
23, 30 September 2022, 3:00PM-5:00PM
- Paglunsad at Pagmumulat: Ang GE Kursong Philippine Studies 21 (PS 21) sa Paggunita sa ika-50 Anibersaryo ng Batas Militar ni Marcos, Sr.
29 September 2022, 2:00PM-4:00PM
- The Art of Disquiet and Rage
28 September 2022 (Hybrid Symposium)
- KAL Bahaginan Research Forum
26-30 September 2022, 4:00PM
- OICA Learning Resource Dissemination and Social Media Campaign Project
15-30 September 2022 (Online Campaign) |
UPD-OICA Youtube Channel and Facebook Page
For more information about the project and its components, you may access the following link: bit.ly/ML50UPDiliman or scan the QR code below. You may also connect with the UP Diliman Office for Initiatives in Culture and the Arts (UPD-OICA) at specialproj[email protected] or like and follow the UPD-OICA social media accounts:
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/updoica
Twitter – https://www.twitter.com/updoica
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/updoica
Youtube – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-qcW0ZqKrgd4UmeCq9V9IA
Commemorate with us by using the following hashtags: