The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) approved the conduct of face-to-face training sessions for collegiate student-athletes, provided that strict health and safety protocols are observed.
This comes after the continued easing of alert level classifications in the National Capital Region, which now permits contact sports under Alert Level 2.
The latest development potentially paves the way for the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) and National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) to host limited sporting competitions by the first quarter of 2022.
An athletic vaccination drive led by CHED for UAAP and NCAA student-athletes has already been completed. This is a key step in allowing leagues to resume their activities.
CHED released its official four-step resumption flowchart for colleges and universities to begin holding their respective face-to-face training sessions.
Photo from Commission on Higher Education Sports
Varsity teams are required to submit the following requirements:
- Self-assessment report forms of higher education institutions (HEIs)
- Letter of intent to resume training and competition with sworn statement on strict adherence to health and safety protocols
- Sample health declaration forms to be accomplished by participating team members and staff after each scheduled activity
- Proof of document of the activity with clearances from local government units (LGUs)
Once the above-mentioned documents have been secured and submitted, CHED will spearhead ocular inspections of the prospective training sites.
The commission will take the following considerations into account:
- Engineering control and occupancy capacity of training venues
- Dormitories and housing facilities for student-athletes
- Transportation of food and beverages
- Study areas with stable Internet connection
- Available mental health services
The issuance of an acknowledgment certification by CHED serves as the last step before contact training sessions are permitted.
All persons who are set to partake in these activities must yield a negative RT-PCR test or undergo a 14-day quarantine period.
Designated training venues must have temperature check stations and screening areas, with regular disinfection practices prior to and after every session.
Furthermore, participating HEIs are obliged to equip their training sites with hygiene kits and health monitoring logbooks.
UAAP Season 84 is tentatively slated to begin in February 2022. Additional implementing guidelines are set to be released soon. DZUP