Online streaming platform YouTube appeared to have terminated Tuesday morning, November 3 the YouTube channels of ABS-CBN News for a supposed violation of the former’s terms of services.
An owner whose account has been suspended on the said platform may be “unable to use, own, or create any other YouTube channels,” according to the service.
There are various reasons YouTube terminates an account. These include the repeated posting of abusive, hateful, and harassing content; a “case of severe abuse” such as predatory behavior, spam, or pornography; and instances of hate speech, harassment, or impersonation.
ABS-CBN is now investigating the matter and is “working closely with YouTube to resolve this problem,” the media giant said in a statement.
While the YouTube accounts of ABS-CBN News and ANC have become inaccessible to viewers since Tuesday morning, ABS-CBN News’ TeleRadyo channel remains available to the public.
This comes as citizens pointed out the void left by the broadcaster’s shutdown in information dissemination during the onslaught of Super Typhoon Rolly over the weekend.
In a statement, former Vice President Jejomar Binay said that the network could have helped save lives as the world’s strongest storm so far this year hit the country on All Saints’ Day. “The closure of ABS-CBN, including its radio and regional network, has left a noticeable void that has yet to be filled by the other networks,” Binay explained.
Last July, the House Committee on Legislative Franchises killed the franchise application of embattled media conglomerate ABS-CBN.
ABS-CBN was forced to bring most of its news content online after the National Telecommunications Commission ordered the media outfit to cease its broadcast operations last May and as a result of the franchise denial.
“Before the House of Representatives voted not to renew its franchise, the network was able to serve residents in remote areas through timely updates and alerts from authorities,” the former Vice President said.
“This early, there are anecdotal stories of residents who were caught off-guard, unaware of the super typhoon’s destructive nature, and orders from local authorities to evacuate,” Binay added.
Malacañang downplayed ABS-CBN’s shutdown. “Gumagana po iyong communication infrastructure ng gobyerno sa panahon ng aberya. So, sa tingin ko po wala namang vacuum at nandiyan din po ang ating mga pribadong news agencies,” Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque said.